Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A little nugget from my sermon this next week based upon Matthew 6, "Give us this day our daily bread."

“God helps those who help themselves” is not Biblical! You may believe that about God, but it isn’t the God who is represented by Scripture; it is an American ideal projected upon God! Rather, “God helps those who seek first the Kingdom of God.”

I've heard this statement so many times it makes me sick; it's pure self-reliance American dribble. Now don't get me wrong, I'm American & I love working hard. However, this statement is often used to describe how a person (1) doesn't need God, (2) is more blessed then "Them," (3) or, their success is evidence that their hard effort is a sign of God's blessing.

God helps those who help themselves is not bibllical.

God likes to help all sorts of people.

2 comments:

JUAN said...

Someone recently made that statement in an effort to support what I was expressing.. when they said that, I at first wanted to slap them because I felt they didn't remember a thing I said.. But then I kindly revolted to asking them where that was in Scripture..

A man is worth his labor... We know that to be true.. But God has nothing to do with our labor.. We need to remember that it was God that said we would "labor" because we decided to disobey Him. That is our consequence, not God's problem.

Sean said...

Well said my friend.