Monday, July 20, 2009

Church is an interesting thing. Our church is an interesting thing. Your church is interesting. I often wrestle with the ideal & with the real. My ideal is what it all looks like when I write it on paper or picture it in my head; however, as many of you have figured out by now, ideal is not real. Not to say that we shouldn't have ideals. Having goals or pictures in your head of how you see God's plan for your community played out help you to work toward that goal; however, as many of you have figured out by now, ideal is not real. Real is real. How do I work with my real? The regional pastor for the Vineyard in our area said this, "Maturity is: The ability to deal with reality." I thought, & still think, this is great. How am I able to deal with the reality of what's really going on in order to guide myself, & others, toward the bigger goals God has for us? Here is where tension comes in. What's that next gracious step toward God's goal for me, & for us? Wrestle on.

4 comments:

WTF?! said...

Interesting thoughts...

I have always thought of maturity in terms of our settled identity in Christ alone.

Which dovetails in some interesting ways with what your APC said...

We live, in some ways, in two realities; who we are and the situations we face, and who Christ says we are and what He is doing in the world around us.

Can't wait to see you guys, my wife is bummed you're not bringing your family.

Sean said...

We're sad the fam can't go, but that's reality for us. We did a family trip & realized: Buffalo would be crazy, so...

WTF?! said...

'nother thought: I have heard it said that leaders 'define reality' for other people...

LindaFaye said...

Yet another variable to wrestle with making it all the more interesting.