Tuesday, August 25, 2009



























"I got invited."

These are three wonderful words from our Sunday gathering. After worship I always ask, "Somebody share a God story." I ask this because God is always working in our lives, however, we often don't recognize God working in our lives because many of us don't ask: "Is this God?"

This last Sunday when I asked, "Somebody share a God story," a friend of a friend raised his hand & said, "I got invited to this today." When he said this I was somewhat stunned & I almost cried. I wasn't stunned because he got invited; I was stunned because I too easily forget to be thankful that I am invited. I forget that eleven years ago, when I was at a horrible place, God invited me. Since that time he has continued to invite me; in spite of the fact that I have taken up the attitude I am someone worth inviting! What this friend said was an: Out of the mouth of babes moment. He was just thankful to be invited. I'm tired of inviting. He's thankful to be a part. I'm tired of being here. He's thankful he got invited. I put my invitation away & forgot about it.

After he said this I laughed one of those laughs you make when your shocked or embarrassed. But God quickly filled my heart & reminded me of something. I then said to those gathered last Sunday: "We all got invited didn't we."

It's when we move into the realm of entitlement that we become disillusioned with who we are in Christ. We forget where we came from & then start to become ungrateful for who He is & who we are. We are not entitled to anything especially a place at the Wedding Feast; we forget that we WERE invited when we shouldn't have been. We forget we ARE invited even though we shouldn't be. When we start to feel pinched isn't because we feel entitled to something that we have no right to in the first place?

If we could remain in a posture of: "I got invited," I am certain we would enjoy God more & enjoy what He has for us.

1 comment:

~bean said...

Thats good Sean! It is an honor to serve God. I get to be part of the most exciting thing ever- its truly amazing! I dont know why we can easily put on the attitude that I am entitled to it...gosh! Were all a bunch of sinners!Its amazing how much the Father loves all His children!