Friday, April 02, 2010

I've been reading through 1 Corinthians lately & it's been good. I appreciate this letter because it's so raw in many ways, which I think reflects real life as opposed to what most people try to do with their lives: Sanitation. One verse keeps popping out to me.

"1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God."

"Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up."

As I look at the hero's in my life, I am starting to see one thing in common: They loved others. As I look for Christ in people I'm starting to realize I see him most in those who give themselves to something other than themselves. They give what they have, which might not be much, to be used by Christ in whatever way he can use them. "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." One is about me, the other is about others. One NEVER satisfies; the other always satisfies.

Last night we watched a movie about St. Francis of Assisi & he said something that struck me: "If you want to feel loved, go & love. If you want to feel significant, go & serve," & he lived this out! "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up."

No comments: