Friday, August 27, 2010

What are we to do?

This last Sunday I was talking about Colossians 4:2-4
“Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. 3 Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. 4 Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should.”

I imagined being in the room when this letter was originally read &, having come to the end of the letter, thought of what the Colossian church would have done; I imagined they would have remembered Paul’s words to: Pray, & would have spent some time in prayer.

So, this last week instead of expounding upon the text & what it meant in the original context (I don’t think a request for prayer has changed too much even in 2000yrs) I decided we would do the very thing Paul was asking the church to do: Pray.

There were a few new visitors at our service & what happened was very interesting. Two visitors were “Christians” who were “checking out other churches,” which I don’t care for & another visitor is a man we met at the Shanti Tree who likes Jesus, but also participates in other religious beliefs. He is someone who is checking Jesus out, but he likes our church. (Not our services, as there are better church services in SC, but our people). Before the service I grabbed my Shanti Tree friend & said, “Tonight will be a bit different. I’m not gonna’ preach, but we’re gonna’ break up into small groups & pray.” His response was, “Is it cool if I pray too?” I warmly affirmed his desire to pray with us, which he was very grateful for.

The two “Christians” didn’t have such a positive experience. I’m not dogging “Christian,” & what I mean by this is: They were expecting to come & hear a message (fed, entertained?). They were not expecting to participate; ironically even if the text the teacher was teaching on was a request to: participate. I made mention that generally in the church we expect to come & hear a message, but God’s perspective on the church is much different. In God’s economy church is a people who, not a place where. I then shared this picture
& asked, “Where’s the church in the picture?” Humorously my new age friend shouted out: “The four people in front!” We had a good laugh.

After sharing the four things we would pray for as directed by the text, I said, let’s break up into smaller groups to pray. Our “Christian” friends stood up & left; our new age friend jumped right in.

Without a doubt we live in a consumer based culture. So, it’s right to say that a way to engage a consumer based culture is to create an environment where the consumer will be: Awed, entertained, comfortable, caffeinated, & content. However, how do we encourage our consumers to participate when it doesn’t serve their pleasure or purpose in life? As we read we see the example of the church in the NT is very participatory; a group of people gathered for the purposes of God; not themselves. Can we say the same for the successful churches of our day; or is “success” defined by bodies in attendance?

Our culture is filled with professionals who share with us the latest ways at getting people to sit in a service we have created. In fact, we’re often duped into believing this is what a church is: A hip local & bodies. But will the bodies: Pray, serve, love, give, sacrifice, go, defend, etc? I believe this is one of the biggest reasons people are frustrated with the very faith they were created to be a part of: Those who claim to believe in Jesus don’t follow Jesus. Sadly, most have created a system devode of the living Christ & substituted it with a “Christian” culture that allows them to look but never touch, hear but never listen, & learn but rarely engage. "Where's the beef?" Too, this majority fuels the flame of the leaders who gather them into large groups & proclaim, “Church. My latest blog will detail how I did it;” primarily because the crowd is the churches biggest sign of: Success. Yet who is willing to do what is being taught?

Once again: Jesus never said Go plant a church. He did say, “Go make disciples.” There is a vast difference between what we call church & what he calls a disciple. Too, Paul didn’t plant churches; he made converts into disciples who then met as the church.

I invited our church & the visitors to participate with God during this space in history; our New Age friend was eager to join Him.

8 comments:

WTF?! said...

You get a big fat AMEN outta me, homie!

You should check out a paper from SVS on consumerism in the church...

Are you gonna write?

I think I am...

Sean said...

Yeah, I'm gonna' write.

WTF?! said...

Sweet!

I am assuming you will be writing with an emphasis on discipleship...

That is where my paper will be focused as well...

I think I mentioned to you a little:

I wanna explore the Urban/Suburban divide, and the underlying theological and ecclesiological reasons as to why the charismatic/evangelical church (and the Vineyard in particular) has largely been a suburban movement. Those underlying theological reasons being essentially 'Church Growth' teachings.

Then I wanna compare and contrast Church Growth, with a theology of Discipleship into the Kingship of Jesus; suggesting that shifting from one theology to the other would lead many more churches into the Urban American environment...

I'd love to dialogue some with you. Too bad you're only 3000 miles away! Maybe we can skype about it sometime in the next week or two?

Unknown said...

I want to follow Jesus with all my heart...

Please pray for us down in Mexico,

In Christ,

Rafa.

Sean said...

I'm not sure what I'm going to write on. Another guy in the church & I are gonna' write. We'd like to explore discipleship, but I'm not sure. I'd like to look at: how modern church models actually cater to the very groups of people Jesus continually turned away (or were turned off by Him) & then call it successful church; which would obviously relate to discipleship or a lack thereof.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean!

Always enjoy your thinking....

Wouldn't some of what you are talking about here be in terms of meeting size? In Acts when you see the church gather in the temple courts they had what probably felt more like preaching and less interaction. But in the home meetings they had dialogue, prayer etc. because it is easier and more functionable to do that in smaller settings? My personal thinking is not the format of one particular meeting a week, but what happens throughout a whole week (and months) in terms of disciples being made.

We've ended the gatherings at our church with breaking into prayer sometimes and saying if you don't want to participate you can leave now. Probably 80% of people stay. And then have a room up front we have for prayer after each larger gathering. It isn't easy in larger meetings for full participation, but in mid-week smaller meetings is when that seems to happen the best.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

Sean said...

Thanks Dan.

As usual you bring up some wonderful subjects (you’d better!). I would agree meeting size is an important factor in the ability of someone to interact. Likewise, I would agree preaching in certain parts of Acts were monologue based; however, I’m not sure “preaching” in Acts, would be translatable to our Christian culture’s idea of what “big church meetings” are & likewise, how the typical preacher or Christian views these meetings within spiritual formation. I think it’s easy & typical for us to say: Big=a place I receive: Doctrine, vision, leading & is viewed as a place of input & Small=a place of output. Yet, I don’t see any such distinction in the NT to be anything other than the church no matter where you find yourself. I’m not one mode here & another there; this I assume is unique to us? Too, big meetings where we receive aren’t bad at all (ie. Synagogue?) That said, as I know you would agree this isn’t church. Yet, through our consumer based culture (culture isn’t bad & can only be what it is & is something we work with & against) we love to receive &, I wonder if you would agree, consumer defines our church culture more than participant. Consumeranity is one word I've heard.

Lastly, I don’t think preaching in Acts or anywhere else in the NT was the impetus for the radical work that happened during that time, although it was & is important. Preaching was one aspect of a larger means of spiritual formation within the early church; we have a distorted picture of what preaching is via the Reformation. Mark records that Jesus sent the 12 to “Preach.” How do we imagine them doing this? I believe the reason many were given to following Jesus (a radical concept nowadays) was a result of the example given by those who were preaching. The same is true today: For better or worse. Our disciples are a reflection of our theology lived out: More (much more) is caught then taught & this from the concentric circles nearest us working throughout the church.

So much to talk about!

Thanks Dan. We love what you're doing.

WTF?! said...

Hey Dan,

I think the bigger picture of what Sean is saying has less to do with church/meeting size and more to do with a cultural expectation of meeting consumer demands.

The 'Christian' people left when they realized they wouldn't be getting what they wanted. That is the most important aspect of the story. We have created churches that feed and encourage such blatant consumerism and individualism, instead of confronting it and calling it what it is, sin.

In fact, even the very 'large-group-reception/small group-interaction' mindset is a product of cultural expectation that (sometimes) inhibits the Kingdom.

We need to be more unsettling of the status quo, specifically of Christians...