Thursday, April 24, 2008

I often wonder why I live in the Mtns, work in Scotts Valley, but have been called to start a church in Santa Cruz! God is Sovereign; & I think he's trying to reaffirm that in my daily. I wake up early, often too early wondering what we are doing. My heart breaks for those who don't know about the life available in Him. Then, when I talk to my friends & whom they're inviting to our game night tomorrow I'm presented with a laundry list of names. He is faithful; I am faithless. Church planting is all the humble pie you can eat. But who couldn't use more humility!?

Anyways, let's make the most of my time at the Starbucks next to Bethany University. As of late I've been doing some question asking. Not all of these people attend Bethany, but all of them say they are Christians.

1) Do you spend more time in devotion to Jesus (ie. worship, fellowship, reading scripture, etc.) or devotion to modern media (ie. watching T.V, playing video games, internet, your cell phone, etc.)? Given the hrs. that you spend doing either, which do you think has more influence in your life? Is this how you want to spend the time God has given you?

I asked two Christians this question & both answered: Modern Media. I wasn't surprised to find out that both of them spent a majority of their time devoted to modern media, which then, I assume, shapes their lives. I don't know if they make the connection between: Time spent=influence. One guy went so far as to tell me, “You should be careful who you ask that question to. I’ve always been told not to mix religion with work.” My answer: “That’s because you don’t read your Bible. Hey, there’s a girl at the counter who says she’s your girlfriend.” Jesus @ work, no. Girlfriend @ work, yes.

2) Where do you go to church? What do you like about your church?

I asked Q2 last night to a very nice Bethany student who is about to graduate. Here's a snapshot.
Where do you go to church?
I used to go there, but now I go here.
Why the switch?
Doctrine.
Which ones?
Predestination & the Gifts of the Spirit.
Does your present church operate in the gifts?
Not really, but they believe you can.
So, their doctrine is theoretical?
I guess you could say that.
What do you like about your current church?
I like the worship & the teaching is good every now & then.
Can you give me a Biblical definition of Church?
Uh...
Can you give me your definition of Church?
People who help me in my relationship with Jesus. What are you getting at?
Do you ever find it interesting that when people are asked what they like about their church they describe an event? I rarely, if ever, hear people describe a group of brothers & sisters, fathers & mothers, who live life devoted to pursuing the things of Christ. Too, when I hear people define or describe church they define it in terms of services rendered to them & not something they participate in.
Would you agree Acts 2:42-47 was included in the Bible to help us see what Church could/should look like?
Yes.
Was it an event or a life?
A life.
See you later.
Thanks for giving me food for thought.

I'm thankful that God has placed me at this Starbucks &, as usual, want to make the most of my time spent with these wonderful people. However, most people are ignorant of the love & life that is available to them through Christ & his church, even though they attend Church. If God wants me to stir the pot here then so be it. Turkey has the largest group of unreached people in the world: 22 Million Muslims who might never hear the Gospel. God's answer is: The Church, (ie. these young people)

8 comments:

David said...

Mr. Eastwood, you are awesome.

Tamy S. said...

Atleast now there is one more person who has had their ponder pot stirred about what the defination of "church" is vs. should be. We encounter the same out here but I know how minds can really be changed if challenged....mine was!!!

Rick Mazaira said...

Bro, I am stealing your blog for my next sermon! I am so glad you're pressing the envelope- shake up their hearts so they'll shake the dust off their freakin' bibles

Caleb said...

My answer to the first is that it ebbs and flows. When it starts to drop off God reminds me and I get back on track. It is spent more in communication with God and worship than anything else.

My answer to your second question is that there has only been one church that I have ever had any interest in going to. The church is full of sinners...they hit their knees and humbly repent before God and pursue Him fiercely. They support each other out of love and respect. They hold each other accountable with love and respect (it still hurts some times). Hey, I'm just preaching to the choir here so I'll move on.
I'm trying to wrap my noodle around the concept of 22 million souls and I just can't. I don't even know where to begin.... I guess I'll just hit my knees and start with "thank you Father".
I will also try to keep your questions on my mind frequently for a gut check.

Sean said...

Yeah, 22 million people. Turkey has the largest group of unreached people in the world. Sadly, this is only one country. Why I'm in Santa Cruz is God's business, but my heart is with those who don't know; & I assume his heart is with them also.

nan said...

So when will you be visiting Turkey??????
Always praying for ya, nan

nan said...

So when will you be visiting Turkey??????
Always praying for ya, nan

Sean said...

Uh...we're just trying to make it to mexico this year! Turkey...within 5yrs?