Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Just some random, but important thoughts. As I was running the other day I was listening to N.T. Wright's "New Perspective on Paul," & he mentioned something like this: "Nietzsche defined Paul as the most tormented man to have ever walked the face of the earth." I didn't think too much about it, other than: The Enlightenment's perspective on life, especially spirituality, is dumb(?). There are more educated words, but they escape me right now. Anyways, I tucked it away. At our service this Sunday we were talking about giving everything to Jesus (seems like we talk about that a lot) & our friend Carol, who is pretty heavenly minded said this: "Paul, was a man totally enraptured by Jesus. He never really thought about the cost of following him because someone who is absolutely captivated doesn't regard losing one thing for love's sake as sacrifice." So, when I put these two statements together things mesh for me. Nietzsche, who is looking from the outside at Paul's actions can refer to him as tormented, & he was; he was tormented by a love that is undefinable outside of actually submitting to it. Carol knows that love & is therefore smarter than Nietzsche.

3 comments:

WTF?! said...

NT Wright talks about a hermeneutic of love...

It was good to talk with ya, can't wait to see you guys!

JUAN said...

this was awesome....

when is your first book dude! I expect one from you dealing with reaching the lost rather than disgruntled Christians! (Even though they still need Jesus like the rest of us.)

Caleb said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Way to go Carol!!!