Friday, February 25, 2011

Big Ass Grasshoppers

I love spending time with people who aren't Christian. I find it incredibly refreshing to spend time with those whose interest in Jesus compels them to seek after the one who has perplexed & given life to the cosmos, which includes people like me.

One thing I like about spending time with those who are seeking God is how they describe the Biblical narrative in their own language. We Christians have our vernacular &, correct as it is, isn't as colorful as those who don't yet know "protocol."

As I've been coaching track at a local high school I've had the honor of helping some of the athletes see more clearly who God is. One athlete even agreed to start meeting with me each Friday at 6:15am. So, this morning we had our first "Bible Study." We started in proverbs, then moved to Mark, & finished, per his request, with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

My favorite quote from our time was when after reading Mark Chapter 1, as Mark describes John the Baptist wearing Camel hair & eating Locusts. As we passed through this description I asked, "Do you know what a locust is?" He replied, "It's like a big ass grasshopper. Right?" After he said this my soul grew warm as I enjoyed the company God had placed me in. As we sat in his car, the rain moving down the windshield painting our Bibles with refracted lights, I answered, "Yep, it's a big ass grasshopper."

3 comments:

WTF?! said...

I love it!

Matt Whipple said...

Nice post Sean! I miss ya brother! You are a man of God, and you blessed my life back at MB. ~matt Whipple

Scott S. said...

I found your blog off of your wifes. Very nice work. Giving of your time. A real man