Saturday, August 06, 2011

All Over the Country

I just got off a webpage about a Christian conference happening near Santa Cruz & must admit I'm kinda over church culture (it's been a slow process). Really, it's kinda gross. As I scrolled through the bios of each speaker & musician it was really weird. "So & so wrote this book & speaks (or plays) all over the country." I guess my question would be: Is that some sort of arrival point? Is it the goal of Christian leaders to write a book or song & then play "all over the country?" & this magically gives them some sort of clout to be a "main presenter?" It just seems weird.

I think this is coupled with a recent visit to a blog where the author was blasting a conference for not being Heidi Baker, because "if everyone did what she did this conference (on social justice) wouldn't even matter."  It made me sad because this girl isn't Heidi & she won't really get to be herself until she realizes that's best.

Celebrity.

I guess I'm over the "so & so; & who's who," within the faith & my opinion is that as long as we continue to teach Christians to listen to "so & so who wrote this & that & spoke here & there," we belittle the little ones who make up the brunt of the face of Christ in the streets; because they never will be celebrities & that's just fine.

I realize certain people do have fabulous things to share & therefore do travel to & fro in order to share their wisdom; however, "so & so, has spoken or played all over the country," has become a mantra for our church culture to make us believe they're something special (or maybe we're helping them believe they're special?). 

What if the speaker's bio said: "So & so, been faithful in the little things for 25yrs." 

I'm not sure how that would sound on a conference bio: My name is Sean; I just got back from my neighbors house where he showed me his birthday homebrew with 4oz of weed in it.

How do we within the church help everyone to see they are as important as Heidi? How do we within the church help our teachers present us with a bio that reflects day-to-day faith? How do we in the church learn how to appreciate simple acts of faith like going next door?

3 comments:

LindaFaye said...

Hi, my name is Linda and I just offered to share a fruit tree with my landscaper. :)

Jenn said...

I have a lot of thoughts, but don't feel it is appropriate to share with the world. If you reply I will send my thoughts to your email.

...but to join in (sort-of)...hi I'm Jenn, and I mis-represent the Father's love more often than I would like.

Joshua Hopping said...

As I read your post, I couldn’t help but wondering what the bio on my blog said! Did I fall into this same trap of self-promoting the ‘sexy’ things of life? Or did I remember to highlight the simple inglorious everyday walk with Jesus?

If we want to change the culture, we have to start with ourselves….which means I’m going to have to double check my bio! =?